My first foray into the world of “Cons” took place last week with my appearance in the Artist Alley of the NY Comic Con 2008. I’m finally getting caught up after such a whirlwind weekend – although I still have some e-mails to write. Here’s a summary of the weekend as I saw it….
The Best of NYCC 2008:
- Meeting myspace friends and admirers of my work – old and new
- Being told that my work and website are inspirational
- Having a table next to Molly Crabapple (go girl power!)
- Sharing techniques with artist Lorenzo Sperlonga
- Sitting across from Marvel creator Greg Horn and Ghost Rider creator Gary Friedrich
- Being interviewed by more press people than I can remember
- Getting my work in front of a huge audience
- Having people notice the influence of Alberto Vargas in my work
- Meeting fellow artists and creators
- Being so busy that I barely had a chance to breathe all 3 days
- Selling to more women than men!
- Meeting pinup model, poet, and comic book creator Andrea Grant – what beauty and talent!
And the worst of NYCC 2008:
- Freezing under the most powerful air conditioning duct I’ve ever seen!
- Being interviewed by more press people than I can remember (I had hoped to thank everyone, but lost track of who I spoke with)
- Being so busy that I barely had a chance to breathe all 3 days – there were so many artists I’d hoped to visit with but never got a chance to move from my table (mega thanks to everyone who came by to say hello!)
I’ve already submitted my application for NY Comic Con 2009, so I hope to see everyone (and more) next year!
My latest painting, titled “Tattoo You” was premiered at the NY Comic Con this past weekend. There was a tremendous amount of interest in buying prints, which are now only available for pre-order as I await the scanning/proofing process (which is necessary to produce the best quality prints with pure white background that I can’t achieve with my poor photo taking skills). Prints are expected to begin shipping the week of May 12th. If interested in reserving a print now, please e-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org) - online ordering will be available soon.
“Tattoo You” by artist Susan Heidi
model is Sabina Kelley (photo reference by MichelleXStar, muah Chris Montoya)
I’m sorry to say that I won’t be attending this year, but many of the models I’ve worked with will be in attendance during this weekend’s Viva Las Vegas 11 held at the Gold Coast Casino in Las Vegas (April 10-13, 2008). VLV (as it’s known to insiders) is THE place to be for rockabilly, hot rod, and pinup girl enthusiasts. In addition to the festivities scheduled at the Gold Coast (including Saturday’s Car Show which is free to the public and the place to see and be seen), there are many parties being held around town. Pinup celebrities, Sabina Kelley and Kay O’Hara will each be hosting events Thurs. and Friday nights. If you stop by and see them let them know I sent you!
I get lots of e-mail asking me for vintage resources on the internet. The eVintage Society is a great source for all things vintage. The site contains links to vendors that will outfit you in style for the upcoming VLV weekender in Las Vegas or any other rockabilly themed event. Their blogs are also a fun read. And I agree wholeheartedly….red patent leather is up there with leopard print and polka dots!